Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let the training begin....

There are a lot of things you consider before getting a puppy. Just when you think you have everything covered something pops up. For me it was training. I have had puppies before and thought I knew how to train them but this time it was all on me. There was no one to help me do the training.

I feel pretty lucky because I have a smart puppy. I have already taught her how to sit and she it doing really well on the potty training. Nothing to complain about right? Well having a smart puppy is a double edged sword. Although she catches on quickly she also uses her smarts to get herself into trouble. At first I thought I could block her off in the living room so I could keep an eye on her while I study. This was a mistake. Every attempt was shot do
wn after about 5 minuets. Since then I have purchased two gates to span the doorways
of the living room and multiple packages of bones, chews, rawhides and anything else that will keep her attention. She has been doing great but it is a full time job keeping up with her. Good thing she takes a lot of naps!

There are a couple of books I would recommend for anyone considering getting a puppy. Cesar's Way discusses the psychology of dogs and how to use it in your favor. I kinda thought that this was bogus until I tried some of his techniques and they worked really well.



Another book I recommend is Puppies for Dummies. This book covers a ton of things you should consider before getting a puppy and it has tons of training info and even games to keep your puppy busy.


Next time I will be discussing the costs of getting a puppy and hopefully revealing some things you haven't considered about costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment